Get me outta here!

Friday 1 December 2023

WEEK7 REFLECTION- Storytelling

Course Outline

Hi, long time no see👀. After the reading week, we have our sixth week of class, this class lasts for three hours, including two hours of lecture and one hour of tutorial, the focus of this week's lecture is storytelling, although the class is three hours, I don't have any boredom at all, probably because of the lecturer's good storytelling skill. The lecturer emphasised the significance of storytelling, told the students what storytelling is, the challenges of storytelling.

Digital Storytelling
Digital storytelling is a new terminology to me. As technology continues to advance at an unprecedented pace, the art of storytelling has also evolved into a digital form. This innovative approach combines traditional storytelling techniques with multimedia elements such as images, videos, animations, and sound effects (Signes, 2008).What impressed me most is that digital storytelling offers several benefits in the education field. Educational Digital storytelling (EDS) is often presented as a powerful, technology-enhanced learning approach (Wu & Chen, 2020). The cultivation of students' digital storytelling skills, according to Ohler (2006), it allows students to become active creators of multimedia rather than passive consumers. By creating their own digital stories, students develop skills and talents in art, media production, storytelling, and project development. 
It reminded me of the week 4, we studied the video cutting where we utilise digital tools like video editing software or presentation applications to bring their stories alive visually. They can add transitions between scenes, incorporate animations or special effects if appropriate, and select suitable background music or sound effects that enhance the mood or atmosphere they wish to create. Previous study of video editing also paves the way for us to better understand digital storytelling.
To better demonstrate the infectious power of digital storytelling, the lecturer also provided us with a captivating analysis of the renowned film Sleepless in Seattle. The lecturer began by discussing the film's compelling plot, which revolves around two individuals who are brought together through fate and destiny. She emphasized how this universal theme resonates with viewers on an emotional level, allowing them to connect with the characters' experiences and aspirations.
 Her insightful analysis left us inspired by how digital narratives can transcend culture. By the way, I was recommended this film, planning to watch it in my leisure time.

Showing but not telling
In the class, I was inspired by the "showing but not telling" mindset mentioned by the lecturer. As a non-native English speaker, when describing things, I usually focus on simply narrating and making sure the other person understands. However, talking in this way is not sufficient and accurate. In fact, "showing but not telling" is a more vivid, concrete and powerful way of expressing oneself. It requires us to convey information by showing details, describing scenes and presenting characters' behaviour, rather than relying on abstract generalisations or direct statements(Klauk& Köppe, 2014). This allows the reader or listener to better understand and empathise with the message.
 For example, when describing a beautiful landscape, if we simply tell someone "it's beautiful there", it may seem bland ( that's usually what I do). However, if we use the method of "showing but not telling", we can describe in detail the sunshine on the green lawn, the flowers emitting charming fragrance, the clear water of the brook, and so on, and the readers or listeners will be able to truly feel the beauty and tranquility of the scene. Therefore, introducing the "showing but not telling" mindset made me realise that I need to change my original habit of simply narrating things. From now on, when describing in English, I will try my best to focus on showing details and avoid too many direct statements. Believing that by doing so, I will be able to express myself more vividly and convey my message effectively to others.
Career inspiration


To emphasise the importance of storytelling skills, the lecturer used one of her job-seeking experiences as an example. She once received an offer from Apple, which provided me with a new direction for my career planning. Since my undergraduate major is in education, I thought that I could only become a teacher in the future. However, I also experienced occasional anxiety about my future and worried that I wouldn't be able to secure a teaching position due to intense competition in my country's job market. Nevertheless, the lecturer's personal experience has expanded employment possibilities for me by demonstrating that the future of education is not limited to being a teacher alone. This realization has motivated me to continuously improve my qualifications and adapt to changing needs so that I can pursue satisfying and challenging job opportunities in both traditional and emerging fields. Therefore, from now on, I will strive to broaden my horizons and enhance my professional knowledge in order to develop diversified skills and lay a solid foundation for the future.
My future has limitless possibilities, too~✊✊✊

This video below is an addition to showing but not telling😊.



 References

Klauk, T., & Köppe, T. (2014). Telling vs. showing. The living handbook of narratology. 

Ohler, Jason. "The world of digital storytelling." Educational leadership 63.4 (2006): 44-47.APAOhler, J. (2006). The world of digital storytelling. Educational leadership, 63(4), 44-47. 

Signes, C. G. (2008). Practical uses of digital storytelling. Digital Storytelling/Relato Digital. 

Wu, J., & Chen, D.-T. V. (2020). A systematic review of educational digital storytelling. Computers & Education, 147, 103786. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2019.103786

0 comments:

Post a Comment